Last Friday, CD Projekt Red (CDPR) put out their first post-launch patch for Cyberpunk 2077, which includes general performance and bug fixes. More importantly, the patch also addresses concerns over the game’s lack of epilepsy trigger warnings before launch.
Shortly before Cyberpunk’s day-one release, Game Informer released a PSA warning that the game is chock-full of seizure triggers. While for many Cyberpunk 2077 players the litany of flashing lights and visual effects will just seem tackily excessive and headache-inducing, players prone to epileptic seizures could have a far worse time.
In the PSA Liana Ruppert wrote for Game Informer, she points out that before launch and for a while after, CDPR neglected to include a proper seizure warning in the game outside of the end-user license agreement.
What made the lack of an upfront seizure warning particularly egregious were the braindance scenes in which V, the player character, has a set of flashing lights placed in front of their head, which Ruppert compared to actual equipment that doctors use to trigger seizures.
CDPR specifically “modified the flashing effect on braindances” in the patch, or hotfix 1.04, to address concerns over epileptic triggers. Specifically, the patch notes claim the flashing light effect at the start of braindance quests “has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude.”
CDPR also added a proper seizure warning in the game shortly after Cyberpunk’s release.
Aside from CD Projekt Red addressing the Cyberpunk seizure triggers at launch, the patch also includes several quests, gameplay, and general performance fixes, which you can find listed in the patch notes below from CDPR.
- Fixed an issue with completing the final objective in Gig: Freedom of the Press.
- Fixed an issue with starting conversation with Johnny at the end in Life During Wartime.
- Corrected a rare issue with NPCs no longer calling V if A Like Supreme quest was abandoned mid-way.
- Fixed an issue with Nix not going into his default state in Spellbound and KOLD MIRAGE.
- Fixed issues blocking progress in I Fought The Law if the quest area is left.
- Fixed inability to find Delamain in Epistrophy.
- Fixed issues related to remaining in the second phase of the quest after finishing Pacifica fight with Ozob if played after Finals.
- Fixed an issue with Nomads no longer present if V leaves the quest area mid-combat in With a Little Help from My Friends/Queen of the Highway.
- Adjusted mappings and re-enabled quest tracker in M’ap Tann Pèlen/I Walk the Line/Transmission.
- Fixed constraints on freedom to get up and sit down if neither blueline condition is met in Violence.
- Fixed issues with time and space resulting from leaving the quest area or abandoning the quest in Following the River.
- Fixed an issue with conversation with Johnny not starting after leaving the hotel in Tapeworm.
- Fixed an issue with quest being blocked upon leaving the quest area before climbing the hill in Following the River.
- Fixed the objective “Go into booth 9” not completing if the room’s entered too fast in Automatic Love.
- Fixed Jackie’s issues with sitting still in The Ripperdoc.
- Other quest fixes
- Fixed the preview in weapon crafting.
- Reduced vehicle appearance pop-in.
- Speeded up switching first person perspective to third person perspective in a vehicle.
- Fixed issues with animations missing from important quest NPCs during cinematics.
Performance & Stability
- Improved stability, including various crash fixes.
- Modified the flashing effect on braindances to reduce the risk of inducing epileptic symptoms. The effect has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude.
- Removed copyrighted songs incorrectly present in the game with “Disable Copyrighted Music” feature toggled on.
- Switching language to default in the in-game settings now correctly sets it to the language of your Steam client.
- Improved reflections quality on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to eliminate the smudge effect.
- Fixed “The Wasteland” achievement being stuck on 97% after completing all relevant missions in The Badlands on Xbox.
- Fixed an issue with missing PT-BR VO for Xbox players in Americas.